04-16-2014, 02:18 AM   #11
BOOSTFTW
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90 335i e36 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbosc297 View Post
Option A without a doubt.

I bought a 2010 civic lx 2 years ago for 11k (salvage title) with 9000 miles on it. Now has 60k and zero issues what so ever.

My dad bought a 2009 civic lx for a commuter a year ago for less than 8k with 50000 miles and it now has almost 80k with zero issues.

Salvage titles have a bad rep but if you know who did the work and don't plan to resell the car for several years they are a good way to get more car for less $$$
Did you bring in a mechanic to inspect the car before you purchased it? I just want assurance that it doesn't break down in 3 years that will cost me an arm and leg to fix it lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddk632 View Post
You could buy a used Civic and sell it in 3 years and end up paying next to nothing. My personal belief is it only makes sense to lease high end cars, and generally when you change cars often anyway.

I don't think blowing 9k to lease a Civic is saving money.

I would choose option B but find a car that needs minimal TLC ( < $1k ) and drive the snot out of it, then get rid of it.

In fact it's not that much different from Option A. You should be able to find an early 2000's Civic or even Accord for $6k. Just don't buy one from a punk kid. Buy one from a family or old lady, and you'll most likely get a good example that hasn't been abused.
I see a lot of early 2000s civics for sale in my area, but they all have 200k+ miles on them--will they last for another 60k+miles?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0