View Single Post
      06-09-2011, 10:20 AM   #633
carve
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

I think I've kind of figured out what's wrong with the front end.

Due to Euro pedestrian impact standards, they need a higher front end. They thought their old shark nose from the 80's would be a good way to do this, but they only went half way, applying it only to the grille area. This means half the front end- the bumper and lights, are sweapt back as on existing designs like the 3 series and Z4, but the grille area is swept forward. If they want to do the shark nose, they have to apply it to the WHOLE front end, and square off the top edge of the bumper, rather than sweeping it up into the grille. VERY design by committee.

They should've just done something like the front end on this concept car, but with a full-width bumper. It has much less of an underbits, and the shark nose is the full width of the hood.

[img]

This design would also be controversial if it were on the new 1, but at least SOME people would like it. That's how bangle would've done it- break new ground...not compromise and mash half of that design with half of the old one.

The chipmunk cheeks rear fenders are pretty bad too, as is how far back and deeply cut the chine is.
Appreciate 0