View Single Post
      11-02-2012, 04:08 AM   #35
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapezzul View Post
The N37 3 cylinder will be used in the F56 MINI and the F20 114i, and the FWD BMW. Production is to start in Hams Hall UK not that far out. Peak power is to be around 220hp but that is reserved for only certain low volume products.
Thanks for the engine code, mapezzul. I guess I figured BMW would be moving all of their engines to a new scheme. N37 seems more in keeping with the older scheme. Personally, I think they should drop the "B**" part entirely, and just call the engines N15 (I3), N20 (I4), N30 (I6) and N40 (V8). There's only a single displacement for each one now, and that isn't likely to change any time soon given the desire to keep all cylinders the same dimensions going forward.

Anyway, if this will be used for the 114i only then how are they going to position the *16 and *18 N13 models which make less than the 175hp the I3 is easily capable of? Will they simply detune the I3 to ridiculously low power? The current 114i only makes 102hp, the 116i and 316i are at 136hp, and the 118i is at 170hp.

Again, it still does not make any sense to me for them to keep the I3 exclusive to the very lowest end vehicles only, when clearly it could replace the N13 wholesale. I don't expect the N37 and N13 to coexist for more than a year or two. No one is buying a 316i and thinking "Ok, I know this is just a 136hp 4 cylinder, but that's as low as I go. No way I am even considering an I3, even if has essentially the same displacement as the I4." I mean that is nonsense.

And I do realize the N13 is being used in racing applications. So is the N18 for that matter. But is Mini going to use the N37 even for JCW models? If not, then they will move to the N20 next generation will they not? They could then use that engine for racing, and BMW could as well for that matter.
Appreciate 0