04-07-2013, 04:20 PM   #102
KoenG
Lieutenant Colonel
Belgium
Rep
Drives: i4 eDrive40 & Cupra Leon 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madgambler View Post
Having just exchanged my 997 Carrera S for an M135i I couldn't disagree with you more. There's a reason the 2-wheel version of Porsche's 911 outsells it's AWD sister and I don't believe it's just a matter of money; it's simply more fun to drive. Same for M cars in my opinion.

The fact that the rear can step out in a RWD car and needs to be caught is exactly the reward a driver's car should offer. The only problem with tail-happy 911's though is their design is compromised so much this has a nasty habit of biting you in the a$$ when you least expect it, especially if you boot them too hard too soon.

The constant argument that goes on between the wheels in a powerful AWD car about which one has more traction is actually quite annoying after a while.
I agree that a RWD car makes you feel more in the center of action. It requires a more ripped and awake driver that is constantly ready for the lurking counter lock. But even when you are, the AWD will outgun you on most tracks. At least, when you're not Damon Hill or Micheal Schumacher.

I guess much depends on how you see a car. I assume that more and more, extreme things evaporate: high rpm V10s and V12s are out, socio-economical context no longer allows us to drive drag racers with free exhausts. On top, the places where I can power slide without feeling a complete jackass when somebody sees me doing these childess things are also gone entirely. I felt a studd, now I feel like a serial child killer.

So the egocentric pleasure I can still hold on to is driving an efficient performance car when I'am going with the flow. A car that is effective in converting massive torque to propulsion without drama. And all this, still providing the nice balance of the BMW.The X does this better than the RWD.

But again I agree, those rare occasions when you have the free play ground in front of you ... the RWD is more rewarding. But to me, it's more a dream world you need than reality then.
Appreciate 0