View Single Post
      03-29-2013, 01:57 AM   #90
SteveC
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5

I used to own a 3 Series i and iX. Over the first 100 meters the iX is unbeatable....while the i is spinning its wheels and clawing for traction, the iX is simply gone. On roll-on acceleration its a different story....in the iX you can definitely feel the extra weight and frictional losses and there's a certain sharpness missing from the response.

The iX offers superior traction, but as soon as it comes to braking its pretty much level pegging, so the iX can get you from 0 to speed a lot quicker on slippery surfaces but speed to 0 is the same as an i, so be warned.

The iX has better grip and traction in corners but on a warm, dry road isn't as much fun as an i, which feels more 'up on its toes' in terms of handling. On wet roads, the iX obviously offers higher levels of grip, but the i is no slouch as long as its tyres are good. You need to drive very quickly indeed to exploit the iX's extra handling prowess.

On really slippy surfaces like ice, the iX can be a real handful. Too many beans and all 4 wheels spin up, taking out your steering!

On snowy, hilly roads, the i needs snow chains, while the iX will make do with winter tyres. The iX is almost as bad as the i on snow and ice when left on summer tyres.....the only difference it, you may be going a lot faster in the iX when (not if) you lose it.

So, in summary, if I had to do a lot of driving in winter conditions, for example if I lived in Scandinavia or the Alps, then I'd buy another iX. For most other situations I'd buy the i and fit premium winter tyres and drive a little slower when the roads get cold and slippery.

Last edited by SteveC; 03-29-2013 at 02:17 AM..
Appreciate 0