View Single Post
      10-05-2012, 05:42 AM   #7
s2rv
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: f21 M135i

Hi all!

This is my second attempt at writing a few of my thoughts about my new M135i (first time was unsuccessful due to me pressing a button in error)

Right, here goes...

So far I am very impressed with my car, I haven't driven it hard as I want to treat it right, as I may keep after 4 years. My old car was a BMW 330d remapped to around 280hp and 600nm of twisty stuff, I also own a Skoda Octavia vRS DSG. My impressions on the car so far are based on the above cars.

My car has the 8 speed sport auto fitted, which I find really really good/great, better than the DSG gearbox, which I thought was pretty near perfect. You can put the gearbox into sport, it delays the upshift (more revs) and appears to 'bang' the gears in (not as smooth, but good for more rapid progress) at the same time as this you can change the car mode into eco pro, comfort, sport, sport+ which sort of makes the car go from a bit soft and cuddly to a bit of an animal (tighter harsher/more responsive)- I thought this was a bit of gimmick when reading the brochure, but I genuinely think it is a good feature-read on...... For instance, in traffic I like it in eco pro as it makes for a very relaxed drive, calming almost, whilst comfort is good for around town, whilst sport and sport+ tighten everything up and ecorage you to 'press on'. I haven't really used the 'flappy paddles' on the steering wheel in anger-but, I probably will in time.

I have the adaptive suspension, although, I can't say what it is like, as I haven't driven a standard car-it is more forgiving than my old m sport 330d on runflats, but the M135i doesn't have runflats as standard (is this why the ride is better?). I think the the different modes of the car, changer the damper settings and the spring is different to standard-effectively different strengths in different parts of the spring to aid ride comfort or cornering if 'giving it some'. Or that is how I understand the system, please correct me if I'm wrong.

I have the DAB radio, which I like the choice of stations, plus I also have the HK sound as I was very disappointed in my old BMW's sound system quality (I was wrong in thinking that it was a premium brand so it would have premium sound as standard)

Other options I have are, electric memory seats-I love these as myself and missus effectively share cars based on our needs for the day, they are great for me not smashing my knees off the steering column after she has driven it-as the seats set when you 'plip' the car and at the same time it also sets the exterior mirrors and HVAC and sound system to your settings

Seat heating-first car I have had with it, no doubt good for my bad back in winter.

Auto lights and wipers and 'sunset' glass.

In the UK we have xenon lights and leather as standard, xenons seem good, leather also seems nice-my dealer did say perhaps these may only be 'freebies' for a limited time-I cannot confirm this. Maybe so, as it is a new model and want people to see a longer standard spec list?

The sound from the car is great, even on these cooler autumn days I have the window open to hear the engine. When you first start the car, there is a rich rumble/throb from the exhaust-very much similar to a 1M when starting (my neighbours aren't gonna like this as I work shifts and have funny start and finish times)

As for the other options available for the car, I could have gone mad and spent a lot more money, but, for stuff that I don't think I would use or not miss having. It would have been quite easy to spend many thousands of pounds more...... but, in my opinion the car would not have been as value for money.

I think that is it my initial reactions on the car, if you're waiting for a M135i I genuinely think you will love it, except for perhaps the electric steering (maybe this will grow on me?) seems to have little feel, but tightens up at speed. Don't let that put you off, 'all' cars have it now, I am just a fan of the old hydraulic steering. The only other slight negative is the start stop system, I'm not sure it can be good for cars, I am having mine disabled or reversed in operation (default is operating, I want to select it to be operational when I want it to be, not when BMW deems it so for Co2 emissions)

Thanks for reading and hope it has enlightened you more into your purchase or potential purchase.

s2rv
Appreciate 0