11-06-2012, 09:15 AM   #34
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENGA View Post
Today I mounted Bridgestone Blizzak LM25 Run on Flat tyres getting ready for winter here in Bosnia. So far they seem very quiet and actually the steering wheel is lighter then on my Pirelly cinturato P7 summer tyre. I guess this is because winter tyres are much softer. I was very surprised to see that my car was not equiped with TPMS sensors located on valve and I guess tyre preassure monitor is controled by ABS? is this correct anyone? Maybe this is not as precise as with sensors but at least you dont have to worry about damaging sensors when replacing tyres twice a year.
Yes, that is correct. The car monitors the revolution speed of each wheel individually when you are driving, and will alert you if one wheel is starting to constantly rotate faster than the others.

It is also normal that winter tires (particularly new ones) will give you lighter steering, since the tire tread is more flexible. As the tires wear down, and the tread depth is lower, the steering will gradually be heavier.
Appreciate 0