12-01-2015, 03:13 AM   #11
schaeffs
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee Pee
Bit of an update.

Before winter really takes hold, I have spent more time with my Birds B1 chassis car between comfort and sport+ than I ever did with H&Rs.

I loved the low stance of and the steering feel with the H&Rs and so I was tad ho-hum about the higher stance with the B1s. The springs have settled and I'm happy with how the car sits and there steering feel and response is equal or better in sport+.

The ride height increase of B1's means adaptive dampers are influencing the ride and handling more, than with H&Rs, and theres less dependency on BMWs 2nd damper system (Bumpstops to you and I). Not that H&Rs bottomed out but the contribution of adaptive damping was less with H&Rs than it is now.

B1 springs (combined with B1 ARBs) keep the front keen and rear tight, irrespective of the damper mode selected. Ride in comfort is improved and in sport+ any hint of underdamping is gone as the cars responses sharpen up nicely.

The traction was good before, thanks to quaife LSD but now car is more tolerant of road surface flaws and variations meaning you can be more liberal putting JB4'd power down.

I've yet to take the car on a track day with this setup although toying with signing up to PH session at Goodwood 12 Dec but might have winter boots and map 2 or 4 on by then.

As steering feels tauter and both traction and ride are more usable on the road, I'm spending more time in sport+.

Finally, a chum has just bought a passively damped m235i so we have played with both cars back to back. I agree with C'mans comparison m135i v m235i, stock m235i rides and handles better than I recall my m135i when it was new. The tables turn with B1 springs and m4 LCAs as we both preferred the steering feel and tighter helm on my car. My chum is likely to put m4 LCAs on his car once spring has sprung next year.

BP
BP - I think you need to compare an LCI M135i with the M235i - I am well impressed with the LCI suspension bog standard (admittedly running 19" 405M wheels) - it's planted and grip is fantastic. The only real issue for me is the rebound rates on the dampers which need to be tuned.
Appreciate 0