View Single Post
      10-26-2015, 06:25 AM   #5
padders
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken_Gearbox View Post
Thank you. What is the cabin noise like on yours? Does it sound like a tractor?

I guess my main worry is that I wouldn't want to kill the dpf. My morning run sees my oil temperature get up to operating level on my N52 but I know diesels may take longer to warm up. That is what I am trying to get my head around. I think the drive home would be fine. If I ever got stuck in traffic then it'd be comforting to watch that fuel needle stay steady. I know they sound like a bag of nails when you start them up and bliss is with the windows up not down... wondering if they did a good job on sound insulation.
No as I say, the B47 has improved NVH over the N47 and doesn't clatter noticably on a cold start, outside or in, at least so far in my 2 months of ownership. It may get worse when the mercury gets below zero of course. The big 6 has at least 2 litres more oil and water than the B47 4s so I would think all other things being equal that the diesel will get up to temps at least as quick as a 6 if not quicker. Turbo engines heat up pretty quickly in my experience vs NA.

Even when up to temp though the noise never gets all that appealing but the latest engines have 2500bar solenoid valve injectors which are more precise in fuel delivery than previously which seems to lead to a smoother burn than I was expecting. Up to 3500rpm the noise is never all that dieselly and fairly pleasant in a gruff muted way but between 3.5-5K you may occasionally long for the petrol 6. My mechanical sympathy winces a bit near the red line. My god does it shift though, the extra turbo extends the torque sweet spot by around 300rpm at the low end and about 1000rpm at the top vs the single turbo meaning that you have instant oomph from around 1200-4500rpm and the tail off above that isn't all that obvious. It actually has in excess of 370Nm over that entire range, with more than 400Nm all the way from around 1300-4000. The engine is about as far away from the old all or nothing diesels as it is possible to get with current technology I think.

As I noted before though, all this is a bit academic if you are after a pre LCI car since it will have the N47 unit. You probably need to drive one at see for yourself if you can get on with it.
Appreciate 0