View Single Post
      05-09-2013, 02:03 AM   #30
ZenithDK
Rep
Drives: 118d

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
We do have cheaper education and more social security. The cost of new cars with powerful engines in Denmark and Norway are however so high that pretty much only rich people can afford them. Most regular people drive around with small engines over here.
Well, Sweden and Germany have good education and healthcare too, while still having car prices comparable to the UK/US.

As far as I know, the difference is that Norway and Denmark (and to a lesser extent the Netherlands) don't have any automotive industry of their own, so all car purchases are a cash drain for the country - therefore, there are crazy car taxes to keep the money "inside the country" (here it's 180% tax on the car value exceeding $10000).

But yeah, a 1 series is a luxury car here. Basically only top executives can afford a 5 series or M135i, for example (weighs in at just over $100.000). The only people in 7-series/A8 are ministers who get the government to pay for them

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcho View Post
i'd gladly trade you my cars (135i, now C63) to live in copenhagen or oslo. just think of the lower prices we pay as compensation for the crap quality of life we have here (southern 'merica).

that's all this "freedom" rethoric equates to anyways.. spending power.
Wait, so I get great weather, big steaks and cheap cars in exchange for snow, rain and 180% car tax?
Appreciate 0