04-07-2018, 09:55 AM   #11
harkes
Colonel
China
Rep
Drives: M135i, E39 M5, NSX and AE86

Quote:
Originally Posted by No one View Post
So it's harkes himself (repainted without notice). I might need to elaborate my impression from the video then.

The topic has been discussed here too many times to mention. ovekvam, in particular, has written quite a book spread over those threads. Here's just one for example: Open-diff vs. E-diff- vs LSD (F20 related).

Quote:
Originally Posted by harkes View Post
E-diff is always enabled.
What is "E-diff"? DSC is a complex system (this document, page #18, looks kindly quoted) working with all the wheels (brakes) and the engine (power):
. "Quaife Helical" is what it is - an LSD. How can you compare those? Put the simplest, "Quaife Helical" is what helps to drift, DSC(/DTC) taken as "E-diff" is what prevents drifting (still failing to overcome the laws of physics). When you choose DTC to "allow the wheels to spin" it is like you disable LSD to some extent. So taking as "E-Diff" the Active Differential Brake (ADB-Sport) feature (activated "When DSC mode is off" - does that make a bit of sense already?) looks the only correct approach to challenge "Quaife Helical" (which needs not DSC "wrapper" to show itself either, perhaps).

Quote:
In four years owning the car I have never once experienced only the inner tire spinning.
How do you know? You heard the left wheel and checked the right you say.

Quote:
you can also see in the video the TC is still at work at quite high speeds.
When DTC "E-diff" steps in the instrument indicator flashes. Quaife Helical is always there (when it's there) and it's claimed to step in faster even than the ADB ("DSC OFF") "E-diff".

Regarding the 0.1 second - how much does Quaife Helical weigh to add to traction?
Not sure where to begin with a reply here. Just trying to compare DSC off with factory E-diff and DSC off with Quaife. I am very sure that DSC off is exactly that meaning that DSC and DTC are both diabled. Look at the video. How would I be able to drift the car with both systems active..? E-diff, for me, is the function that via the brakes makes it possible for an open diff to mimic that of a mechanical differential.
Yes, the baby blue wrap is now off the car. Back to factory white