View Single Post
      02-15-2011, 02:06 AM   #24
Coni
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3s-a-charm View Post
I'm with you... I wouldn't buy a FWD BMW, but I'm sure the sales will be just fine.

There was also a time when BMW represented "lightweight"... not so much anymore (mostly out of their control due to safety standards increasing). Also, there was a time when the thought of a BMW SUV (sorry, SAV) was unthinkable.

To me, BMW has always been about a driving experience - one you don't get in any other brand. A big part of that has been because of the RWD, balance, steering, etc... - but because of the joy I get from the brand in general, I would have no problem driving an X5 - or for that matter, a FWD 2-seater. But for the pure BMW experience, I'll drive my M3 of course.

My point is simply to stop the RWD/FWD whining just as people have now started to accept SAVs as part of the brand we love.
I think I see where our opinions differ. To you, BMW represents driving feel, to me, and I would assume to antzcrashing, BMW represents the components behind that driving feel. While I am not going to argue that BMW is still lightweight (as I would be wrong ) I still think that you cannot get that intrinsic BMW-ness without RWD. There's just something so proper about a smaller displacement BMW engine paired with RWD.

As for your other point, I do not agree at all. You are saying that just because BMW changed, we shouldn't object at all. If BMW is doing something wrong in our eyes (I am talking about the enthusiasts, the people who know BMW better than most) then it is our duty to object. We shouldn't just silently take it while BMW makes bad decision after bad decision. They won't even know they're making bad decisions if no one raises some concerns! Although I do concede that quite a few people on here do whine and bleat for any reason (omg BMW are adding turn indicators to the mirrors!!!), and quite a few of them wouldn't even notice if their car was FWD, it doesn't mean that they don't have some validity in complaining.
Appreciate 0