07-23-2013, 11:14 AM   #257
Dim73
Private First Class
Greece
Rep
Drives: BMW F20 116i Α/Τ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob UK View Post
Well the pads should be nowhere near worn after only 6000km the grinding could be down to grit getting trapped, check the discs for scoring. (Circular lined on the smooth metal)

Being in tight spaces with the windows down magnifies any little noise the car makes and you can get a little grind when you first apply the brakes, especially after the car has been washed. Discs corrode really quickly as they are a ferrous metal but they shouldn't grind after a few applications.

If the pads have been overheated they could be glazed (Surface has been polished) a dealer will be able to remove and check them easily.
Thanks for the answer Bob. Yep, there is scoring on the discs (on the rear discs it's more intense). However, when I touched the surface, it seemed smooth (I guess there is a 0.0 something mm tolerance which is not felt by hand). Does this mean that the discs need tobe replaced?...

I've checked a post in E90POST forum and it seems that this high pitch squeal I have, has to do with the OEM pads. Maybe I should go with third-party ones. Any suggestions? In your opinion, how should I present this problem to the dealer (I don't think they will admit it's their pads and if they do, they will just replace them with OEM ones again.)?
Appreciate 0