07-20-2013, 05:50 AM   #249
Dim73
Private First Class
Greece
Rep
Drives: BMW F20 116i Α/Τ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob UK View Post
1. I have known blower fan bearings make noise at low speed but go quiet when speed is increased, still worth letting BMW look at it imo.

2. It could be a little noise from the A/C compressor as it cycles, maybe a little irritating but not a worry.

4. A wheel bearing would be more of a grind/rumble at speed, possibly changing tone then cornering as the bearing is loaded. To see if you have a sticking caliper jack up each end of the car in turn so the wheels are free and turn them by hand. Any catching will be easy to feel / hear.

The fact the noise stops can be for a few reasons such as the caliper being slow to release or the pad wears slightly until it clears the disc. Worse is a binding caliper and you would spot this after a drive as the smell is unmistakable so I don't think that is your problem.
Now that you've mentioned it, I remember a strange smell after some spirited driving with many bends and sudden brakings... How serious can that be? Is it dangerous? I'm on vacation right now, I can't jack it up and I will not be able to take the car to the dealer until next week... Is there any other way to confirm that the caliper is binding? Thank you for all the info and your help!
Appreciate 0