View Single Post
      08-11-2014, 03:28 PM   #48
NemesisX
Captain
Rep
Drives: '19 Infiniti Q60S

Quote:
Originally Posted by carve View Post
I'm glad you're happy, but why call it "manning up"? Just because old people do it?

In this day and age, especially in light of how much preferential treatment women get in divorce, I'm having an increasingly difficult time seeing what's in it to go from serious relationship to legal agreement that prevents the guy from leaving without enormous inconvenience and expense. I've seen many people, men and women, who stop trying once they're locked in. There's simply less incentive since you now have legal power. It typically isn't thought out like that, and not all marriages wind up like that of course. It's just human nature. When you think your partner can leave at any time and you don't want them to, you both give it your all to make things work because the alternative is losing them.

So...what's in it for the guy? I think it's typically appeal to tradition and fear of your girl walking without a ring. Perhaps a girl who'd otherwise walk isn't the right choice in the first place though, as the main difference for her is the guy putting his balls in a vice that she holds the lever of. Also, doing it to keep her around, because you can't live without her or find someone as good, is coming from a place of extreme neediness. This will ultimately kill her attraction and we know where it goes from there
Three words: "married filing jointly"
Appreciate 0