05-14-2012, 11:23 PM   #43
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by jprooney View Post
Most people can't accept another car without the M badge can be faster in straights or other stuff.
M cars are not about straight line speeds. In fact no good car is about straight line speed. And any car with or without a badge can be fast, well at least in that straight line which means close to nothing in real life. The question is if they can do anything else other than that on challenging roads to be called a performance car or a sports car. I don't feel like this M135i is well equipped or even tries to do that. I think it is what it is which is a (very) fast and yet comfortable and easy to handle, easy to drive hatch. This should appeal a great deal of people which BMW is targeting like Audi did with its S lines for so many years succesfully. I am not bashing the car, not at all, I am trying to see it as it is. It does not seem to be as good as it could be and that is why it is neither a follower to E82 1M nor a rival to Audi RS3 because BMW and Audi utilized their best available material to built them and for this one second best seems to be selected which I bet they did intentionally, so that flagship sports car role is still reserved for the future M2 and it will have its new competitors too. BMW is keeping its best for the last, as usual.

Even if it is a good or maybe a very good car for most situations, this M135i is clearly a half hearted attempt, more a marketing study without the passion to make it a great car. I don't know others but for me it is slightly disappointing. In fact, I am just hoping that new M3 and M2 will be crafted with a different vision. For the time being my choice among the new 1 series would still be a 125d. It would deserve the price tag much better and do the job equally good.

Not arguing with anyone, I am a fan of small BMWs since the 2002 times and my first car that I paid myself was a 318ti, so in a way I like them all but I also expect them to be better with every generation not vice versa.

Last edited by ozinaldo; 05-14-2012 at 11:31 PM..
Appreciate 0