01-14-2016, 12:57 AM   #14
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC View Post
I don't think you quite get what I'm saying. When the tyres are hooked up, the engine is restrained by the weight of the car. When the wheels are spinning freely, there's no resistance and all the engine's drive is going into accelerating the rotating mass of the drive train (crankshaft, gearbox, flywheel & 4 wheels) rather than moving the car's 1.5 tons. With such a high power impetus into an unloaded drive train, its highly likely you'll spin it up to the point it over revs the engine.
I get what you are saying, but I don't agree. Let's say you have a manual transmission car, and put it in neutral. Then floor the throttle. This is no issue at all for the engine management. It will not over rev. Once that ignition is cut, the RPM can not keep rising. If you are driving downhill without wheelspin, it is a lot more difficult, as the driveline will drag the engine along.

I do however agree that is seems like a starvation issue, but I don't quite see how doing donuts should cause any problems for the oil pump. It must be a design flaw in this engine type, since most other cars can do donuts without any other problems than blowing up the tyres.

Maybe it was just a coincidence that it happened during the donuts.
Appreciate 0