Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Cool 2012 Geneva: M135i (F21) Concept Debuts with M3 DTM

BIMMERPOST NEWS
2012 Geneva: M135i (F21) Concept Debuts with M3 DTM
COMMENTS

The M135i Concept has debuted at the 2012 Geneva Motorshow. It previews the upcoming M135i, the next vehicle which will join the ranks of BMW's new M Performance vehicle lineup (in addition to the already revealed M550d and X5/X6 M50d). It also represents the first petrol/gasoline M Performance model. If that's not enough firsts, this concept is also the first official look at the F21 3-door hatchback.

No specs have been released on the M135i yet, but BMW has printed that it employs a straight six-cylinder petrol power plant featuring M Performance Twin Power Turbo technology with a power output of more than 300 hp.

For the original BMW press release on the M135i Concept, see http://f20.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=652925

The M135i Concept was introduced as part of BMW's DTM presentation, which also saw the introduction of BMW's 2012 M3 DTM race car. Read about the debut of each car at the Geneva show below.

M135i Concept Promo Video

BMW M135i Concept Debut

BMW M3 DTM

PRESS RELEASE + Expand
BMW M3 DTM in Geneva – Bruno Spengler behind the wheel for the world debut of the BMW Concept M135i.

Geneva, 6th March 2012. When the automobile world assembles in Geneva (CH), it would not be complete without the sportiest BMW in the range. Ahead of the official opening of the 82nd Geneva Motor Show, the brand used the media day to present the BMW M3 DTM, with which BMW will make its comeback in the DTM this season. Before the thoroughbred racing car took centre stage, however, a great honour was first bestowed upon BMW DTM driver Bruno Spengler (CA): in the presence of Dr. Klaus Draeger, Member of the Board of Management of BMW AG, responsible for development, and Dr. Friedrich Nitschke, President of BMW M GmbH, the 28-year-old took to the stage in the BMW Concept M135i. Following this world debut, BMW Motorsport Director Jens Marquardt provided those present with the latest information on preparations for the DTM season.

“The countdown to BMW's first race in the DTM has been on since 1992,” said Marquardt. “1st March was a milestone for all the manufacturers involved. The intensive development stage drew to a close with the homologation of the BMW M3 DTM by the Deutscher Motor Sport Bund (German Motor Sport Federation). Large parts of the design can no longer be changed. After all the hard work put in by BMW Motorsport and our teams over the past weeks and months, I am confident that the BMW M3 DTM will provide us with an excellent basis for our comeback season in the DTM. We still have a lot of work ahead of us, but we will go about it in our usual highly-motivated manner.”

Spengler and his fellow drivers have completed thousands of kilometres of testing in the BMW M3 DTM over the past weeks and months. Despite this, the Canadian was still impressed by just a short drive in the BMW Concept M135i. “This car is a real top athlete,” he said. ”You immediately feel the overwhelming desire of the in-line, six-cylinder engine to drive the car forwards. At the same time, this BMW 1 Series is absolutely ideal for everyday use, making it the perfect link between road and racetrack.”

The BMW Concept M135i is the result of the further extension of the new BMW M Performance Automobile product category, which will be presented to the general public for the first time in Geneva, along with the new BMW M6 Coupé and numerous other BMW vehicles. These models not only offer impressively enhanced performance, a typical M set-up of drive train, chassis and aerodynamics, and a characteristic design and interior feel. At the same time they provide unlimited suitability for everyday use and a high level of efficiency. The BMW M550d xDrive, BMW M550d xDrive Touring, BMW X5 M50d and BMW X6 M50d are powered by the new in-line, six-cylinder diesel engine with triple charger, which generates a top output of 381 bhp and a maximum torque of 740 Newton metres.

The engineers at BMW Motorsport and BMW M GmbH also worked closely together when developing the BMW M3 DTM, as Marquardt confirmed: “Both sides benefit from this interaction: the engineers in production development experience at close hand the special racing feeling you get with every BMW M automobile. At the same time, we are able to take advantage of the resources and experience of BMW M. The results of this cooperation speak for themselves. We will be doing everything in our power to ensure making positive headlines with the letter M in the 2012 DTM, and that we present BMW M GmbH with a gift or two to mark the 40th anniversary of its existence.”

BMW M3 DTM

Appreciate 0