View Single Post
      11-07-2012, 04:02 AM   #19
snipe
Private
Rep
Drives: 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
Isn't that train already gone? We have heavy M-SUVs (yes, I know BMW calls it SAV) with automatic transmissions, and now also M-diesels. I would say that the exclusivity of the M letter is lost a long time ago.
LOL. Do you remember the days, 40 years ago, when M meant 'Motorsport'? They made homologation specials like the E9 CSL, were busy with motorsport and even produced their own model, the M1.
Later they wanted to make money with fast versions of every-day-saloons, like the M535i, made for rich people who wanted to preted they're racedrivers. However, the cars were still handmate at BMW M. When BMW decided to produce the M's at the normal production lines, people were complaining, because this certainly would cause the end of days (and the end of the exclusivity of BMW M).
BMW Motorsport started with homologation specials, but the new M's were only fast. People who wanted to use their M on the track suddenly had to buy special editions, like the E36 M3 GT, E46 M3 CSL and E92 M3 GTS.
M wanted to make more money, so they decided to build cars for rich bastards (and their wifes), like the X5 M and X6 M. M5-owners without any tracktime started complaining: these rich-bastard-M's could never be used on the track, this certainly would cause the end of the world (and the end of M in particular). Later BMW introduced the 1 M Coupe, the first 'normal' M with turbo power. M-fans started complaining because anyone (and even Audi) could make turbo engines. Disaster! M needed atmo-power to satisfy owners, although they never went to a track.
Now the rich-bastards-with-motorsport-bimmers-that-aren't-designed-for-motorsport are complaining, because BMW might introduce a FWD-M-minivan. Certainly the end of the world and the end of BMW M. In a few years, owners of the FWD-M-minivan will complain, when BMW wants to introduce a diesel-M (eh...), an AWD-M (eh...) or an electric M. That certainly would cause the end of the world and the end of BMW M. Well, it is 2012 anyway.
Appreciate 0