View Single Post
      12-09-2015, 10:35 AM   #30
fcman
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 G87

Quote:
Originally Posted by zer0cool View Post
I really don't think this could be a Tesla killer.

1) It will be too expensive given it's being built by Porsche (and also very low volume); so the two cars won't be really in the same price range.

2) The reported charging rate is nothing but a gimmick. There are no Porsche chargers anywhere and to get to that charge rate you ll need a ridiculously high amp line. It's well beyond even Tesla's Supercharger. Will each Porsche dealership actually spend probably the millions needed for electric system upgrades to install a charger to serve such a low volume car? Doubt it. At home and at work, this car will charge at the same rate as all other EVs.

3) Porsche has poor driver assistance techs on all of its cars. It's nowhere near say Mercedes. Will this car have the same level of technology as a Model S? Will the car continuously upgrade its software on the go like Tesla? These are unknowns, but so far Porsche has never demonstrated strength in these matters.

Basically this car will be of terrible value. It will cost more, have poorer tech, and have no charging network. The fact is a great deal of Tesla's value comes from its now fairly widespread supercharger network.

However this car probably won't be out till 2019, so there's still a lot of time for change and improvements.
I guess these are valid concerns for people more interested in buying the automotive equivalent of a refrigerator than a cutting edge thoroughbred performance car. I agree that this thing wont be a Tesla killer, but I don't think that is Porsche target anyway, despite the Buzzfeed worthy magazine headlines.

Last edited by fcman; 12-09-2015 at 10:41 AM..
Appreciate 0