12-07-2015, 07:50 AM   #26
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aatish View Post
I wouldn't say that; Tesla's are to cars what the first iPhone was to smartphones. Wasn't the first, or the greatest, and people doubted it's success...but look at it now.
I don't see it. When iPhones came out you looked at buying an iPhone and compared it to every other maker of similar products and the iPhone was well above the rest. When I look at the Tesla the only thing I see it does better than the rest is work off electricity and go 0-60 faster than the competition but with a whole bunch of negatives. Unless you have a really strong desire to go electric there isn't a financial, tech, or other great reason to go this route.

As for "it isn't a car company but instead a tech company" only when it comes to valuations. It's primary function is to move people from one place to another and I don't see the "tech" of this car changing your life. At some point they will have an autonomous vehicle but many manufacturers are working on the same tech (and then there is Google). If I was Google I would pass on building a car and instead make the best autonomous system possible and sell it to car manufacturers. I see the margins on autonomous systems always being better than building cars.