07-24-2011, 05:03 PM   #38
Matski
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: A slow BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawgone View Post
Attempted insult aside, you need to take yourself out of the mindset of a fanatic...which you and I both are or we wouldn't be here. I'm talking about the perception of the average future buyer. Rightly or wrongly, cost is very often perceived to roughly equal value. If BMW is perceived to be making Honda Fit's, they will have a much harder time convincing that the much higher cost of their upper end models is justified. Honda's most expensive sedan is around $35,000. BMW's is around $110,000. Those are VERY different market segments. Notice Honda, Toyota, GM...they all have different brands for their premium market segment. What would you say to a Cadillac hatchback that looks like a Civic? Premium brands have tried to go down market in the past and it was a disaster. Look at when Mercedes tried it with their little hatchback or when Cadillac sold the Catera. If BMW wants to compete in that lower market segment, they should create another brand or stick with Mini.

Bingo!
Sorry if it came across as an attempted insult, I probably deleted about 5 full on insults before posting that. I see what you are getting at, people that only buy a 7 series for bragging rights will have egg on their faces, personally I have faith that BMW products are able to stand up on their merits, as well as their image..

If I'm wrong, and 10 years from now there is no BMW ///M, no BMW 3 series, 5 series, 7 series, and all remaining BMW's are Front wheel drive.. then I'll concede this decision was a bad one... in the mean-time, all I ask is that people open their minds, and if they can't accept the future must include more economical models, and that diversification will help them remain independent then please, go ahead, and buy an Audi, or a Mercedes, or a Lexus.. and see exactly where that gets you in comparison.
Appreciate 0