View Single Post
      11-16-2015, 10:05 AM   #6
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Quote:
Originally Posted by westphone View Post
1) Do you think BMW should cover any malfunction since I am still in warranty.
Any malfunction that is the manufacturer's fault and complies with the warranty limitations (no racing, etc., I barely recall). From your description it does look like a warranty case but your position suffers from using "your own oil" and having a manual transmission.

Quote:
2)I shifted the whole way before 4 or 5000, could doing the donut over rev the engine and screw things up?
It depends on where you shifted (up or down) and the speed in the latter case. Going steep uphill is unlikely to over rev by downshifting, though. A donut in a constant gear can't break the engine unless the rev limiter or the temperature control malfunction, but both must be warranty. They say AT is vulnerable to wheel spin but you luckily have a MT.

Quote:
Some commented I don't know how to drive a manual and the stuck shaft is due to my over revving the engine
Do they know your driving skills to assume that any reasonably? If you received your driving license with a manual test car, that a kind of proves you do know how to drive a manual (but "shit happens", of course). As "they have never seen this happening" you must be either a very rare manual BMW owner or an overall worst driver around (both deserving an accolade recognition? ) for the claim to be true.

I miss the same engine but mine does have the rev limiter "ready to help" on pushing up. I just test that occasionally (unintentionally, of course). There was a video posted here (in a power tuning thread?) with the rev limit being hit on every shift by declutching with the right foot down. So ovekvam is right: the only over rev they can blame you for is a careless downshift (I "tried" it once, too, but it's all right. I didn't let it go, of course.).

Quote:
BMW went on and comment that because I always brought in my own oil, so that could be the cause.
The BMW service must check the label and warn you (if not just refuse to change) if it does not comply, I presume.

By the way, changing the oil (12000 km. of mostly motorway ride) two months ago I found out BMW had changed the official oil supplier from Castrol to Shell. I must say, it does look like Shell knows something about lubrication that Castrol does not: the engine revs much more eagerly (the old oil was quite liquid, I watched it pouring down on change) and they promised the oil thirst reduction too.

Quote:
last time they fixed something they forgot to put the tow hook in
Why would they ever take it out? I thought I was paranoiac taking everything from the car before entrusting it (last time I ran the risk of leaving the factory accessories in and "won" them back though).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttimbo View Post
So, where is the car now? With the BMW tech, or still at the top of the mountain?
With a bird's nest under the hood opened (as pictured).
Appreciate 0