07-22-2013, 12:43 PM   #256
Bob UK
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 18d X-Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dim73 View Post
I did a test drive today (more than 20 min) and when I checked the rims, the temperature was the same on all 4 of them and no strange smell was present. However, I suspect there is something wrong with the front brakes as they make a strange noise while braking suddenly from very low speeds to a standstill. This noise is noticeable only when the car brakes while passing nearby a big obstacle or another car or a building, where the air is restricted. Inside the cabin I can hear something like grinding (I don't know how to describe it better).
Well the pads should be nowhere near worn after only 6000km the grinding could be down to grit getting trapped, check the discs for scoring. (Circular lined on the smooth metal)

Being in tight spaces with the windows down magnifies any little noise the car makes and you can get a little grind when you first apply the brakes, especially after the car has been washed. Discs corrode really quickly as they are a ferrous metal but they shouldn't grind after a few applications.

If the pads have been overheated they could be glazed (Surface has been polished) a dealer will be able to remove and check them easily.