will-w
'Captain Slow'
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F20 118d M Sport

Garage List
2012 F20 M Sport  [10.00]
It all makes sense now!

I've been driving around now for 4 weeks in my nice F20 M Sport, thinking that it was so comfortable and refined compared to my previous car and being amazed by the fuel economy.

Problem being that the whole time I felt as if something was missing; the beemer just doesn't have the sheer 'fun-factor' that the Abarth had. After an hour of driving the Abarth down country lanes you not only had a broken back, but you also had a Garrett-induced perma-smile that lasted for the rest of the evening.

As the car has loosened up a little I thought it was time see what it could do and took the traffic-free country route home.

My route consisted of 8 miles of windy country roads, long tree-lined straights and a lovely staggered S bend with a 15 meter elevation. To say that I am impressed with the power, feel and handling of my lowly 118d M Sport is an understatement. It took the staggered S perfectly and managed to achieve an impressive number of leptons by the top.

I now completely see the point of the new 1 Series, especially with the lower-output diesel engines. Good economy and a comfortable ride coupled with the ability to achieve wonderful things around town and down country lanes.

I do wish that I had opted for the extra power of a 120d, or even stretched to a 125d but the 118d gives an impressive basic package that can be built on 8)

(Excuse the sun flare in the second picture, I need to take some proper pictures )

Last edited by will-w; 08-10-2012 at 06:43 AM..
Appreciate 0