View Single Post
      03-12-2014, 04:34 AM   #1
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Any Cell Phone junkies in here?

Time's coming for me to replace my cellphone. Right now, I have a Nokia Lumia 900. I like it just fine and my inclination is to just get whatever the current version is. All the apps I care to use are available for the Lumia.

I use my phone for business email, conference calls, and regular calls. I'll send a text from time to time, but I don't live to text. I don't do Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and all that stuff on my phone. The few times a month I even bother with any of it, I do it on a PC. I will use the web browser on my phone to do things like look up a phone number or address when I'm on the road.

My favorite feature on my phone is the voice-to-text capability and the all but unlimited quantity of things -- phone numbers, email addresses, birthdates, etc. that I can store in association with a name. I also like the contact grouping system on the Lumia. (I had an iPhone 4, but I don't even remember if it could do the grouping thing and it certainly didn't do voice-to-text.)

I'm sort of neutral re: the battery life of the Lumia. When I turn off the "location hunting" aspect of a lot of apps that have nothing to do with location, the battery lasts plenty long enough. With that location tracking feature enabled all over the place, the phone only makes it for a couple days, maybe three if it's the weekend.

There's one thing I don't like about the Lumia I have: you can't charge it and turn it off. I deal with that by muting it, but once in a while I forget and a string of emails rolling in in the middle of the night will wake me. The other thing that I wouldn't call "don't like" but that could be better is the basic font size, such is the way things are as we age.

I use AT&T. I don't absolutely require a carrier sponsored phone, but an unlocked phone would have to be very significantly better than anything AT&T sponsors for me to spend the extra money on it. My Lumia will be getting unlocked soon and once it is, I'll just start using it when I'm outside of the U.S.

About me:
I'm 55 and male. I have three kids. I like nice things, but there is zero "cache" in my mind about a phone. I only care about performance, tactile quality, and ease of use.

Do any of you have any useful input about the new and/or current smartphones that you care to share and that you think will be helpful?

All the best and thanks.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed

Last edited by tony20009; 03-12-2014 at 04:42 AM..
Appreciate 0