impulsE89
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2Porsches2Alfas2Bmw2Corvettes

Whatever

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
Sorry to say, but it doesnt really work this way.
From what I see people just dont want them anymore. Most people have a car like this as a second (often garaged) car so the weatherproof durability is no issue. Sportyness, and bootspace for a weekend out with the top down to enjoy the weather is probably more important. One of the reasons the 6 never came with a metal folding roof. The 6 conv is virtually always bought as a weekend car.
And for the Z it also shows in its sales figures. The e89 sold badly. And even worse: it sold very badly in its primary target market. It lost a big market segment. Thats why bmw changed over to the soft top again. Its a sales thing. Not a eu legislation thing.
I understand how you see it this way. There no doubt the car did not sell very well. The picture here in the USA as I see it here is that the Market is small and Corvette dominates with some very nice cars. More corvettes are sold than all the Sporty BMWs and Porches combined. They are considered a performance bargain.
BTW I am a big fan of the BMW motorsport acivities they support. At the track they invited me to sit in the racing z4 and chat with their very congenial drivers.
As for legislation, when I see Porsche risk replacing their iconic sixes with 4 cylinder turbos, I have to think that every ounce that can be taken out of a low production car and put into a hot selling Suv is vital to the survival of the company. Bmw makes about 1500 SUVs each day here in South Carolina. Look at the figures above. BMW is an SUV company and doing very well in that segment. Just my opinion but i believe legislation drives this kind of strategic weight reduction and fuel consumption whether here or in Euro.
Glad soft tops make more sense for you. In a luxury roadster I prefer the the metal roof. I will try to keep an open mind about the 2018 Z.
Appreciate 0