Second Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 XDrive 2.0i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nognohnoh View Post
Hello,

I have the same exact issue with ratteling on my 116i (production july 2012). I also thought it was a heat shield and brought to the BMW dealer in Austria and they said they cannot localize it and its normal. Then I read your post on another topic in this forum and you mentioned that that ratteling noise was diagnosed as a faulty catalytic converter and that it should be replaced on yours. Have you replaced it yet ??
and most importantly was the ratteling still there afterwards?I went to the dealer in Austrtia and told them that BMW South Africa diagnosed it as a defect catalytic connverter on another car with the same issue and therefore they agreed to replace mine today actually, still will pick it up after work!!
Please let me know if the issue on yours was the catalytic converter or the heat shield of the turbo??

cheers,
adam
Hi Adam,
My converter was replaced, but unfortunately the rattle is still there...

It's now actually escalated to a low-pitched vibration on acceleration when cold, and sometimes a serious vibration when punching it at around 3500rpm. I'm going to take it back to them in a week or two when I'm able to find time. Very annoying.

I'm convinced it's a heat shield issue though, going to insist this time that they investigate in that direction. It definitely does not sound normal.
Appreciate 0