Rep
Drives: 320d M135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcius
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyV
Quote:
Originally Posted by barcius View Post
BMW is dangerously migrating from a luxury brand to a popular brand. It started with the 1M then putting an M badge to basically anything BMW produces. Soon the entire M line will drop their "one-of-a-kind engines" in favor of regular engines with more boost found in the rest of the line up. Now BMW is expanding to FWD cars with its own name instead of Mini. Soon buyers of Nissans and Hyundais will be more exclusive than BMW cars unless former buyers wake up and refuse to pay a premium for what will be soon a mainstream brand.
It all depends on where you live, in Europe BMW has always been a popular brand, only the 7 series is a luxury car, the rest are sporty executive saloon's, station-wagons and hatchbacks, with a few coups and SUV's in the mix.
MikeV,

I lived in Europe so I understand what you are saying; however, BMW has not been this mainstream either. VW has Audi and Alfa has Fiat, but no brand has ever tried to be this mainstream and succeed in keeping its image of quality and exclusivity. In my POV, BMW marketing is nuts and will regret this move in 3 years from now.
I agree it's possible.

It might have been better to have come up with a sub brand like BMW i but for the UKL models to differentiate from BMW (proper)
Appreciate 0