wolz
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: bmw F20 120d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carto4 View Post
Thanks ;D

Did any of u had the chance to comparite with a DSG?
funny that you mention DSG because when I test-drove 118d with the 8speed auto, one of my first thoughts were that it was poor compared to a friends couple of years old audi a4 with DSG.

with the massive pricetag of a bit more than 2500Euro (in sweden atleast) I had the expectation that it must indeed be something spectacular not seen before.

The dissapointment was big, I seriously can not understand what the fuss is all about, all reviews praising the 8-speed auto... sure it's great compared to a 4-speed auto from the late 80s, but compared to any recent premium-car it's not better at all. Sure the 8-speed is probably a tiny bit better for fuel-economy compared to most 6-speeds I guess but it's still too slow in the gear-change considering the pricetag.

Don't know if maybe I rember the audi beeing more impressive than it actually is or if the 8speed auto really is a dissapointment. OR if it was the whole experience with the 118d feeling to weak.
But I do have very recent experience with new vw passat tdi DSG. Don't find the bmw-auto better than that one either.

What I would like to test-drive is the 8-speed-sport-auto, perhaps that's the bomb. Just a 100Euro extra for that compared to the normal 8-speed, don't see why any one would choose the normal when the pricediff is so small between them and hopefully the sport-auto has something better to it.

personally i ended up spending those 2500E+ on extras instead of the auto.

also you get a 120d manual for the same price as a 118d auto. Money is best spent on the engine, there is a significant diff in performance for about the same fuel-economy as 118d.

but in the end it comes down to what you prefer, what kind of driving you do etc. If hours are spent daily in traffic-jams the auto is worth it but otherwise not imo.
Appreciate 0