View Single Post
      01-15-2014, 11:22 PM   #253
lac.le
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: M135i

what parts did you get?

looking for a price list but can't find it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheS9 View Post
Indeed was on the massive whirlpool thread. Many disgruntled people with A45 orders (well certainly I was one). It worries me how many issues are starting to appear with the A/CLA45, but I guess they may have tried to rush it to the market? Or just how it is with a radical new model/engine/gearbox.

Anyways these are the pros and cons of the M135i & A45 AMG from my personal experiences of test driving both extensively. I drove the A45 AMG for around 80 minutes which included some mountain action mixed with traffic and highway driving. I drove the M135i for two 45 minute sessions, which consisted of back road/industrial park action mixed with traffic driving.

Pros of M135i:
- 8 speed ZF gearbox is amazing, and shifting with paddles for both up and down are instant. A45 7 speed DCT is reluctant on downshift until it believes it is optimal.
- The engine has so much torque from 1400 rpm, far superior to A45. Revs harder too, and sounds better in my opinion. A45 needs 2,400 + RPM before it starts to come to life, but such is to be expected of a 4 cylinder turbo.
- The ride is extremely comfortable to me, and adaptive suspension is brilliant. I have driven mostly cars with coilovers in the past, so I don't mind a firm (but compliant ride), but this is just so nice and pleasing to experience.
- Bigger boot than A45.
- Very good front seats (despite looking conservative), good support, and excellent driving position.
- Very decent steering and feedback despite being electronic. Handles very well in Sports mode. I was not allowed to enter Sports + mode.
- Been around for a while, so I'd imagine any material issues have been sorted out already by BMW.
- Proper fast acceleration from stand still without the need of launch control.
- Refreshing to have a RWD hatchback, with a good balance of driving experience/feedback and liveability (ie: not having a mechanical diff).

Cons of M135i:
- Ordinary exterior looks, especially the front. But I wouldn't say it is ugly like others. But being understated in looks will keep unwanted attention away.
- Interior feels cheap and old, despite being well built. Especially when compared to the A45.
- Has less rear leg room than A45. The middle console protrudes a lot further past back of front seats than A45. But I never was intending to have 3 in the rear (just my 13 month old son, and soon a new born).
- No way near as fast point to point.
- Does not feel as special as an AMG; not a true M car.
- To option it up close to the A45 it is EVEN MORE EXPENSIVE.
- A45 still has more features and standard items than the BMW, even when BMW optioned up.

Pros of A45:
- An AMG model with all the ingredients at a great price.
- Very forgiving car to drive close/at its limits.
- Exterior is lovely compared to BMW. But I'd imagine it will cause a lot of (unwanted) attention.
- Interior is very well appointed, oozes quality (bar that stupid screen in the middle), steering wheel and paddle shifters are very high quality.
- Front seats are exceptional and so comfortable for bucket Recaro. Driving position is excellent too.
- Bullshit quick point to point.
- Much better rear passenger space than BMW.
- I'd imagine great resale due to insane demand.
- Very well optioned as standard.
- Sounds great on high RPM upshifts and lift-offs, but the BMW engine sound is still better I believe.

Cons of A45:
- Absolutely gutless under 2,500 RPM.
- Since a brand new model, no real world testing etc to iron out problems. People already have concerns about the 7 Speed DCT, road noise, door seals, seat plastics falling out, safety features playing up etc.
- Not as daily driving friendly as BMW in terms of engine performance at low revs, and ride comfort. Ride is very firm, but still quite compliant on crap roads.
- Stupid screen affixed to middle of dash, looks nasty.
- Stupid gearbox will not accept downshifts on command, only when it believes it is optimal.

This is just a quick list from my test drives of both cars. It is not exhaustive, and is subjective to my lifestyle and driving style. I am sure the above would vary if I had them to drive around for a few weeks.

End of day the BMW is simply a better commuter and daily driver, yet can provide a bloody fast and exhilarating driving experience (despite not being as full fledged hardcore as the A45). It will be business registered, and I will easily do 25,000kms of commuting a year. If I could have the perfect scenario, I would have the M135i as my commuter, and the A45 as my weekend car. But that's life.

I ensured with my M135i order to spice up the interior with some M performance parts as I want it to feel a little special every time I get in to drive (as wanky as that sounds).

BMW dealership was a pleasant experience, while the MB dealers I dealt were pretty hopeless honestly.

But enough of my yabbering!
Appreciate 0