View Single Post
      06-27-2013, 07:21 PM   #6
pangster
Private
Scotland
Rep
Drives: F20 M135i LCI

Thumbs up

not driven the AMG variant.. but did look at the A-Class before deciding on the F20..

it looks good, driving is a little dull (massive flat spot/dead spot) right in the middle of steering (this probably/hopefully doesn't exist on the AMG model though) - boot isn't as big as the 1er and the rear door shape/taper makes it awkward to get in and out.. didn't fancy having to try and get my son in and out/strapped in his seat..

above all else - what really turned me off was the fact they're still trying to get money for old rope.. the park distance control for example is the exact same as in our C-Class and almost every other Merc since 200 BC.. why on earth do they not incorporate it into their in dash display screen like most other manufacturers!.. and talking about the screen - it's completely wasted as it mainly just functions as a stereo interface (unless you either opt for the VERY expensive COMAND upgrade) or the £500 or so Becker nav option..

I did like the seats and the build comfort though - the driving position was good, but some of the controls felt a little cheap (and they're not cheap cars)...

OVerall for the money - you can get a much better specced 1er than A-Class and IMHO if you go down the MSport/M135 route they look better than their A-Class equivalent.. the 1er is a grower in the looks department, I think the A-Class will date very quickly.

Good luck with the decision!
Appreciate 0