07-04-2016, 01:55 PM   #33
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535i 6sp. DHP/RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by -c- View Post
....even though tesla calls it auto pilot they say driver must keep hands in wheel and stay alert at all times in the instructions......
I personally find this amusing.
So, you have to be alert, or, half alert, or..... how does this help you then?

Imagine 7 hour trip, or even commute to work, where you're not actually driving, but can't quite do other things. Instead you must be alert and keep your hands on the wheel. Doesn't sound like fun, or relaxing experience to me. This is worse than actually having to focus on driving, be aware of your surroundings and anticipate whatever is coming your way. And once this tech is ready and truly "fully autonomous", imagine pricing structure on "vehicle software packages" that are "safer, newer, have more up to date maps, security features"... etc.... can you spell "software license fee revenues" on the rise, for all vehicle manufacturers.

I get that this is cool tech and likely way things are going to be, but in my view, it'll take a while. It'll be nearly impossible to get the safety part "just right" for all scenarios (weather/other participants in traffic/pedestrians/bikes/road imperfections/software and hardware failures...etc..). Unless governments pass the laws where all cars on the road have to be fully autonomous it'll be incredibly hard to get this to work perfectly. Not to mention sorting the laws and insurance liabilities in all this. Passing laws like these is not exactly easy thing to do in democratic societies.

That said, I truly enjoy driving and will do so myself as long as I can, so I might be slightly biased on this particular topic.
Appreciate 0