Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh
Quote:
Originally Posted by -c- View Post
To a point, auto industry is a tad different than your common cell phone or teck toy, Things are pushed out sometimes before their ready because of dates the product board makes. It's not as cut and dry as you think.
I only say this because it happens all the time in my industry and it bothers me, they could wait and make it that much better but choose to release something sometimes even with known glitches.

We do testing on real roads with real traffic not a closed course. But still things happen you can't always plan for.

You see we drive this technology, we think it up and sell it to our company to have marketable competitiveness against our competition so when these things happen I feel somewhat responsible for this stuff because we're the people who dreamt it up in the first place. Or the suppliers come and try to sell it to us promising the world.

We follow the design from cradle to grave and push for the latest in wiz bang stuff and love it when we sell it to the product board but then implementing it and making it safe and all that is another story.

Technology in the car should help you and keep you safe not kill you and no people should not die to further make a product better. In the end fault lies with the driver, he should have been paying attention.
Auto pilot .... "auto" - ergo the car automatically drives itself... meaning the driver doesn't have to pay attention because the car is driving itself; that's the whole point of autonomous driving isn't it?

So why would anyone on God's green earth put out a system that is called auto pilot and caveat its use by saying the driver must have his hands on the wheel an be fully alert at all times, because duh, that is what DRIVING is; paying attention, with both hands on the wheel, and a foot on the accelerator (or brake). If you have something better to do than driving to get some place, then do it; if not, then PARTICIPATE.

This shit is just funny.
Oh I agree! Funny thing is even though tesla calls it auto pilot they say driver must keep hands in wheel and stay alert at all times in the instructions.

You reminded me of a lawsuit a while ago when winabego not sure of the spelling had nowhere in their user manual that you had to stay in your seat at all times when cruise control was engaged, so the driver got up to make himself a cup of coffee and the motor home drove off the road injuring him. Well he won and now in the user manuals it said driver must be seated at all times.

Not sure if this was a fact or fiction but when I think of it I can't help but laugh.
Appreciate 0