12-30-2014, 08:31 AM   #35
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMech View Post
I'm an engineer, and I don't have much confidence that I could achieve all of that without getting something fundamentally wrong along the way.

I'm guessing you are trying to produce an app, that could be used like the M-Power App, or would it require extra hardware?

How does it compare with other measurement methods?

Is this something you are doing to make money, or just as a hobby?
I made it years ago (as in the previous Millennium) when free GPS apps were not easily available. Back in those days, the alternative was usually a stop watch or some flaky g-sensor equipment that was very sensitive to squatting during acceleration. It is just hobby stuff, not meant to be used by others, and the user interface is made accordingly.

Now that you mention it, it would be possible to make this as a mobile phone app with no further hardware.

Some years later, a friend and I made some GPS based data loggers. He sold some of them, but it was mostly a hobby project. During the testing, we compared different methods (including Racelogic equipment and sound recordings), and you can get pretty accurate readings with all if you know what you are doing. I would say down to maximum +-0.1 second error.
Appreciate 0