Rep
Drives: BMW F80 M3

Garage List
2017 BMW F80 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkhold View Post
Well i use the same stock tyres. And a 1 hz gps device is not quite as accurate as a 10 hz gps logger. Especially not in acceleration tests. Your phone gps will only refresh 1 time per second while the gps logger will do so 10 times per second.

But if you are happy with it good for you i started with obd reader then bought xgps pro and used that with racechrono and ended up with a racelogic performance box anyways. Its very reliable if you want accurate data.
I did nok use the phone to measure acceleration with GPS, just the speed, to check calibration for the OBD speed signal. I used racechrono with OBD speed for the acceleration test. I agree that the 1 Hz GPS in the phone is not suitable for the purpose of measuring 0-100. It is however possible to get a very accurate 0-100 reading with a dedicated GPS logger with a 1 Hz GPS antenna when everything is calibrated together with a dynamic model. I have been part of developing such a unit myself, and we came very close to 1/8 mile strip results with optical sensors. Often closer than the Performance Box.

Remember that the 10 Hz GPS antennas also use quite a lot of filtering and interpolation to bring you the signal. There is far from 10 times more information in the data from such a unit compared to a 1 Hz antenna.
Yet the racelogic performance box is a device that is accepted globally as displaying correct info. And I happily use it. Unfortunately we have no 1/8th or 1/4th mile strips in Belgium. So the pbox is very convenient as well.
Appreciate 0