02-06-2014, 04:22 AM   #26
BenN
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335d MSport Plus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborne View Post
Thanks! I wonder whether the M package does really change the feeling of the car, or is it more for the looks. I know there's M suspension, but what about the rest - throttle response, gearbox lever travel, engine and dtc mapping etc.
For me, the MSport package is more than worth it, if not for the interior alone. If you aren't looking to spec leather, i don't think you can go far wrong with the alcantara interior that this trim level provides, it is one of the nicest standard car interiors i have ever sat in. Aside from that as Ovekvam says the steering wheel and suspension are included, and of course you get the 18" alloys with the exterior MSport detail. For me, the sport interior is closer to the standard interior than the MSport.

As for the engine, I love my 120d Manual (Automatic's are not for me, always miss the gear stick), it has plenty of grunt but sometimes it can be there when you would rather it not at the lower end, the engine is very refined and pulls very high up the rev's in comparison to other manufacturer's diesels; knock it into sport and its truly sublime. After saying all of this, if i was to go through this all again, i would be choosing the petrol. With the difference in initial cost vs running costs of the diesel vs petrol, i'm not too sure theres much in it over 3 yeras when doing 12k miles a year like i do. I long for the sound of a petrol again, the smoothness and more progressive power and of course that waste-gate sound i experienced in a 116i hire car is addictive

What are other peoples thoughts? Personally if i was looking at a 120d and a 118i i think the 120d would be the more powerful option, it has some pace and can almost keep up with golf gti's

All in all, im half way through my 3 year period with this car and i can't stop thinking about the prospect of a petrol again, whether that be a 125i or m135i: funds permitting!
Appreciate 0