06-28-2013, 12:53 AM   #3
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

Quote:
Originally Posted by westphone View Post
Out of curiosity, I am wondering what the people do when they have to start their car parking outside when it is way below freezing. In Asia we are familiar with hot and humid, but we are unfamiliar with temperature drops below 10 degree

Do you warm your car at all, or do you have some sort of engine heater/battery heater, or are there computerized program inside the car that helps warming the car. I think you would have to do all the above

Cheers~
The best thing for the car is to just start it and drive off pretty much immediately, as that will heat it up rather quickly. The issue is to get clear windows. They tend to freeze over in the winter. There are pretty much four strategies to solve this:

1) Keep the car inside a garage.
2) Let the car idle while you clear the windows manually.
3) Install an electric heater.
4) Install a heater that runs on petrol or diesel.

I use option 1 or 2 now, but used to have an electric heater in my previous cars. It had a built in battery charger, block heater for the engine, and a 700W heater inside the car to heat it up. There was a display where I could set a timer, so that it was warm with clear windows at the time I took off in the morning. I just had to remember to disconnect the power cable.
Appreciate 0