View Single Post
      09-15-2015, 01:12 PM   #7
zer0cool
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3M

I like this car, tho a production version may be 200k+... so can't afford.

I would definitely buy an affordable electric or hybrid electric car from Porsche or BMW with similar performance to Tesla. I hope to see that within the next 4-8 years.

The charging rate on this car is very much theoretical... it's like 800v and will need ridiculous amps to deliver such level or charge... it could only be achievable at a dedicated charging station maybe at Porsche dealerships...

The actual problem with very fast electric car charging is the grid itself... if electric cars or plug-in hybrids become more mainstream, they will invariably have to charge fairly slowly... Tesla SCs use amperage like 10x of that of your drying machine... the grid can't handle 10 drying machines all running at the same time right after or before rush hour in every home... would just short out... The issue is not the amount of E available, but the flow of E and when...

Therefore I don't think widespread fast charging will happen in the foreseeable future.

Partly because of that, I don't think pure electric will become mainstream in the foreseeable future... people need their cars to go long distances with short refuel times... I think hybrid electric (with plugin) is the best choice. Plug in and get additional performance and fuel savings when you are in home city and commuting, but then have gas range and gas refuel to be able to go however long distances when needed for trips.
Appreciate 2
RABAUKE4669.00