SixDegrees
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M135i

Garage List
2011 Abarth 500  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeganeTrophyGuy View Post
Is the M135i really that dangerous that it needs sandbags in the trunk? Now I am getting really worried since I have one on order. As I said, I have had 7 BMWs over the years and though I test drove the M135i 3-4 times, I never felt anything but VERY impressed with how it stacked up against my previous E36 M3 and E46 Alpina B3S as well as my wife's various bimmers.

The last car I ever felt I needed to put sandbags in the trunk for was a 1968 Cougar XR7, but my first race instructor told me that was absolutely the wrong thing to do (putting sandbags behind the rear axle). It may be different for the M135i but for the Cougar I was told that while piling sandbags in the trunk does help to prevent a spin somewhat (a major problem with late 60s Mustangs and Cougars), as soon as the rear end does start to break loose, it supposedly becomes significantly more difficult to recover because of the added inertia of the extra weight. What I was told was that the safe and useful thing to do, while inconvenient, was to put the sandbags in the back seat ahead of the rear axle. This keeps the car more balanced and doesn't add nearly as much rotational interia that you need to stop during a spin, yet it provides almost the identical benefits (without the drawbacks) of sandbags in the trunk. I wasn't about to put a sandbag in the back seat and instead just drove slower in the rain until I got my next car, a Datsun 240Z.

Very sad to hear that the BMW would knowingly sell such a dangerous car...

I haven't heard of any M135is or F21/20s spinning out at high speed in the wet. I've had all sorts of cars over the years and one thing I've learned, and not the ultimate hard way, but the 'nearly' hard way is that fat tyres, high speed and standing water = brown underwear moments. Nothing more shit scary than suddenly feeling the wheel go all light and you have the 'floating' sensation for a few secs.

If the road is THAT wet I get off m-way/highway and take slower/ safer road.

2007 [57] 320d M-Sport Touring
Pre 2007 - GT TDI 4MO, Mk4 R32, A3 TQ, A3T, Cupra R and on and on and on.....
Appreciate 0