12-14-2013, 05:18 AM   #16
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusF20 View Post
I gather we are talking about drag Co at legal road speeds less than 100KPH not on the race track or autobahn
Power to weight is still a major factor as driving motion is measured against resistance of road surface, air density (drag) and velocity against torque // KW per ton. Unless you are going downhill.

I am interested to hear your opinion.
Do you think the Drag difference between the 3er and 1er at 100kph is great enough to discount the difference in their power to weight ratios as a factor in fuel consumption.
I haven't done any calculations here now, but I would guess that a 116i and a 316i would have approximately the same consumption at 100 km/h. At lower speeds, the 116i would be less thirsty, while the 316i would be less thirsty at higher speed. It also depends on how much you accelerate. Keeping a constant speed on a flat road would benefit the 316i, while hill climbing and changing speed would suit the 116i.

In general, large engines are better suited for high speed driving, and small engines work well for low speed urban driving. Our 116i was not very happy at 200 km/h on the Autobahn, and I guess an M135i would be very thirsty in the city.
Appreciate 0