View Single Post
      08-05-2015, 01:37 AM   #6
dishy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M135i

I did a quick google search and I don't know what to type in, to find out the differences on the gearbox in your 118 and the gearbox in my m135i. I don't even know if I have the 8HP45 or larger. However, the 8HP45 is the smallest one. The "45" in the 8HP45 relates to the engine torque in NM (450Nm) as the maximum. My engine output is 450Nm and so I would expect I would have a model up as so the gearbox was not running on the limit

I looked at the gear ratios some time ago between the 8HP's and even the ratios are the same across the different variations.
I'd expect you to have the 8HP45 as there isn't a smaller one, and as long as you're sure it's 8 speed and is definitely made by ZF. If the M135i has the same 8HP45 (I think it does, as this isn't 1960, manufactures make things as cheaply as possible), then the only difference I could think then would be the ECU programming to control it. I've really no idea how to confirm or check, though.

I'm wondering if the 205 and 2TB numbers are BMW part / ref. numbers?

Here's a link to the ZF 8HP website:
http://www.zf.com/corporate/en_de/pr....shtml#tabs1-1

What do you mean about the shifter, you say it still behaves like a 205? Here's how mine works: the shifter is always in one place, even in park. "P" is selected by pressing the P button. If I listen carefully I can hear a motor move somewhere below the shifter. To get into D, I press the unlock button on the side of the shifter and pull the shift lever downwards. D is selected, but the shift lever returns to the centre position again. To get to Reverse, I press unlock and then press up, opposite way from D. Again the shifter returns to the centre position it's always in.
I can push the shifter over to the left and then it is in a manual mode. Only done this once, I don't like it. Back is upshift, forward is downshift. In manual mode, kickdown is disabled. I can be 1500RPM and put the pedal all the way to the floor hard, and press the kickdown button under the pedal. The gearbox does not shift (I like this, I can use the torque produced!). If I slow down and forget to downshift, the gearbox does downshift for me at about 1100rpm or thereabouts.

If you want to show me, I'm in Australia. I can see you're in Turkey. It's a bit of a long drive but come over after work one eve o_0
Appreciate 0