Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 Tesla Model X

Garage List
2007 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coni View Post
What he's saying is that he shouldn't have to "Just be happy" that he can get RWD. BMW means different things to different people, but most people will agree that BMW always means sporty, rear-wheel drive, balanced driving machines. So there shouldn't be any need to mention that a BMW will be RWD, it should be that way, always.

As for what Scott said, I am actually excited about the upcoming models, it should be very interesting to see what they come up with. Im thinking the 1 series gran-coupe might end up looking like the VW Passat CC, which is good imo. Until then, I will reserve judgement on the raft of new models, even if some of them do seem a bit odd on the face of it.
I'm with you... I wouldn't buy a FWD BMW, but I'm sure the sales will be just fine.

There was also a time when BMW represented "lightweight"... not so much anymore (mostly out of their control due to safety standards increasing). Also, there was a time when the thought of a BMW SUV (sorry, SAV) was unthinkable.

To me, BMW has always been about a driving experience - one you don't get in any other brand. A big part of that has been because of the RWD, balance, steering, etc... - but because of the joy I get from the brand in general, I would have no problem driving an X5 - or for that matter, a FWD 2-seater. But for the pure BMW experience, I'll drive my M3 of course.

My point is simply to stop the RWD/FWD whining just as people have now started to accept SAVs as part of the brand we love.