View Single Post
      10-13-2014, 11:25 AM   #14
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperBin View Post
I was more concerned that there was something wrong with the car such as the heater blend door etc.
You can test it by turning the temperature knob towards red, to apply the heater: the temperature should further increase, I believe (the heater must be more effective than just the engine "nearby"). Also you can try to control the engine temperature by driving moderately (don't rev. it high, constantly). The engine cooling system (generally controlled by the computer) could be revised to make sure the operating temperature is no higher (still within the limit) than it should be - this is unlikely, of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperBin View Post
I need to keep turning the AC on and off to keep the hot air at bay.
Do you really need that? (It's unlikely you can save a fortune or anything that way...) Please notice that you can apply both the AC and the heater in conjunction for the constant comfort temperature: with the AC on don't hold yourself from using the temperature knob to make it warmer, as you like. I do use this technique and I do believe (not knowing for sure) this is the way auto AC works (disengaging AC just when appropriate, not toggling constantly). No harm can be expected anyway as heating and cooling are separate systems: you just mix up the cooled, ambient and heated air streams to your taste. (No manual violation either.)

Another note for those who might be missing it: the "AC (cooling) on" is a must for comfortable "recirculated air" mode usage in high humidity conditions (rain, etc.) to avoid moisture condensation on windows (AC not only cools but dries the air too). Everything(?) the auto AC offers (except for double zone) is available with the manual AC: you only have to control it yourself.

Happy driving!

Last edited by No one; 10-13-2014 at 12:06 PM..
Appreciate 0