01-23-2013, 12:53 AM   #53
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoenG View Post
Well, I'am pretty certain that the xDrive M135i exhibits very comparable dynamical behaviour to the RWD M135i and demonstrates comparable test results even with AWD and the compromis between lateral and transversal etc...
Yes, I certainly don't expect it to understeer like an Audi. But I have also made modifications to all of my previous RWD BMWs to reduce understeer.

Quote:
One point I follow, for overpowered powerslides, the RWD is king since a dot of power before apex will make the car tail happy, while the xDrive will just go a bit understeered during identical circumstances. But frankly, is this the way you drive in reality or rather in your dreams? When you power before apex, it's usually for the spectacle and the thrill you can face death once again on simple demand in your RWD. It never is for the speed nor lap times.

In my case, I've to admit it is a dream, but not the reality. In reality I drive in traffic jams, waiting before a slow vehicle at the stop light, passing a school with an idiotic low speel limit, when I can have a go chances are high it's raining or the stretch is just a few hundred yards in length..etc. etc...that is my pitty full reality.
In public traffic, I don't slide the car around very often. It is mostly around slow corners in the winter, when there are no other cars around. I am sometimes surprised by slippery patches in the winter, and then I feel more safe going a little bit sideways than understeering off the road.

Fortunately, I take my car to tracks now and then to explore the limits. Ice racing is coming up soon, with a whole weekend of sideways driving.

Quote:
Well, probably the only way out of this discussion is we buy both of them and meet on Francorchamps or the NordSchleiffe and have some fun during the finding out...
You would have to buy both, as they are too expensive in Norway! :-)
Also, I am not consistent enough as a driver to make lap time comparisons between cars on those complicated tracks, at least not with these fast cars.
I prefer to drive low powered cars on the Nordschleife, keeping the speed below 200 km/h.
Appreciate 0