06-04-2011, 09:03 AM   #329
Norsk
Major
Norway
Rep
Drives: F10 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMan View Post
Just a minor correction on the last 7 series, there was no "natural selection" against it, in fact, it was the top-selling 7 series ever. So, don't confuse personal distaste for the E65 and lump it with real sale and design failures like the Aztec. BMW does not give a $%^^@ about critic reviews, they care about the bottom line. And the E65, whatever it's fault, sold like hotcake in it's class. Because had the the last 7 series ended up with sales like the Aztec, there would be no F10 7 series, period.
Agreed on the sales part for the last 7.

It was still hated by most and critiqued to death. You could tell BMW was listening to the "critics" because the most hideous items of the last 7 were softened up with the LCI updates.

I believe it sold, because it did have more presence and technology vs the previous.

BMW does somewhat care about critics, or they would not have so returned more to traditional evolution and style the new 7, Z4 and new 5 the way they did.

I would have never bough a car the size of the 7 series (just looked too big). But the new 7, looks sweet and drives like a smaller car. I would buy it. Same for the new 5.
Appreciate 0