Abrams
Registered
Australia
Rep
Drives: 118d, F20, M sport, orange

Congrats!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1thomas View Post
Statusupdate: Car was officiall registered today, I already got the plates and the papers, all I need now is .. well.. the car
Hi 1Thomas,

Many congratulations on waiting out and receiving your new Beamer. You have made an excellent choice! Yours is the only one I have found, so far, which matches mine in outward appearance. This is very re-assuring to know that these options (orange/M sport/1 series) are pretty unique.

While very nice, I wanted to get away from the cliche black and red and possibly white options and couldn't consider any of the silver variants of which make up probably more than 80% of the beamers around here.... Orange hits the mark for me and it looks like quite a few others by the posts.

Many thanks for the (real) images, one is now on my desk top (until I get my own)!

I am nearing the middle of a 4 and a half month wait(owing largely to being on the opposite side of the planet from Germany).

How can one bear this wait.....?

I have opted for:

118d (2.0L diesel, 116i/118i/118d/125i only options available here)
M sport (valencia orange)
18" mixed rubber (standard M sport option here) on 5 double spokes (365?)
manual transmission (this was a must for me, no matter how good the auto is!)
variable steering
lowering suspension
bigger brakes
xenon lights
adaptive lights
lighting package
dark glass
comfort package (surgically implant transponder to keep my boys from stealing??...)
leather
camera
lane departure
distance front and back
adaptive mirrors
hk sound (as an audio engineer, this was the first up option!!)
bluetooth

(Tis easier to list what I am not getting...)

I am NOT getting satnav (it would have been an ultimate gadget though....), heat seating (not needed in Australia...) nor any luggage options (I am so over carrying luggage....).

I am not getting the smokers package, as I would only be storing coins in it, it would be cheaper to through the coins out the window for the life of the car......

Motivators:

I sit in traffic for 10-12 hours a week for work (for 13 years now) and drive 35,000km a year (has been as much as 50,000 km), most in the city, but I also can enjoy a windy alternate route to and from work via 25km of hill top driving......

I WANT a small car.

Rear wheel drive, cornering performance (50:50 weight split, rubber, etc.) are big on my list. (the Golf GTd look is also not for me)

Sick of 2-3 tanks per week in the, about-to-be-retired, family truckster (2003 Aussie made Ford Falcon Futura wagon, 4.0L VVCT, petrol/LPG, 1.85tonnes, 15L/10km LPG + 2L/100km petrol) now the kids have left home.... Looking forward to 4.5L/100km..... (nearly a quarter of the consumption!!)

Sick of less than fully optioned cars (in the past I have actually ordered a car with no power steering, manual tranny, no air conditioner, no radio, all to get the best price...very difficult to sell though...).

Nobody tells me where to go (including a car) as our family takes pride in our sense of direction.... (hence no satnav!!)

Much more comfortable than the car choice with the ultimate message to wannabe passengers (Lotus Elise - 1st passenger can come, any others are walking....).

Couldn't quite justify the 25,000 odd smakaroolas to lose the rear three doors to go for a coupe (I prefer the 18,000 odd I spent on the toys...)

I will keep you posted on the (eventual) delivery of my F20.

Mid-life-crisis? Yeh baby, bring it on.... Don't care what they say....

Cheers,
Appreciate 0