View Single Post
      09-25-2014, 09:38 AM   #1
youngnastyman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F83 M4

Would you make sacrifices for your dream job?

I was recently approached by a company I have been dreaming of working for for the past several years to apply for a job that would have me traveling around the country/world? working on an innovative technology for some very high profile clients. For privacy reasons I can't go into much detail but I can tell you that some of their clients are companies like Nike, Williams Sonoma, Google, Amazon, etc.

The job is a consultant position and requires 50-75% travel on the company's dime. The compensation package is well.. fantastic. Lots of benefits and perks.. but I will be a road warrior for the majority of my time.

This is all fine and everything but with such a job will come various sacrifices. For one, I am paying ~$3K a month for an apartment in the SFBay area that I would literally only be living in on weekends. Second, I have a dog. If I take this job I will need to give him up. I'm in talks with my family to see if they will consider taking him in. Then there's the social life/support group that I just won't have since I will be traveling almost all of the time and friends circles will drift apart. I am okay with most of these things since I recently jumped out here to the bay area anyway (past 2 months) and haven't quite built up a large network of friends in this region.

So my question is - what would you be willing to sacrifice to work in a job you've sought after for a long time? I'll likely need to commit to this role for at least 18 months before transitioning to a more regional role.
Appreciate 0