View Single Post
      02-17-2016, 08:50 PM   #10
GeorgeR
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X6 XDrve35i 2009 335i E92

While whether a photographer chooses to use AF-ON to focus or not is neither right nor wrong, it is rare to have someone recommend against it when shooting sports.

I have used the AF-ON button for so long I don’t even think about it. I don’t know a fellow sports shooter that doesn’t use it exclusively to acquire focus. Those that weren’t familiar with it instantly appreciated the advantages once I showed them how to use it and adapted the practice while commenting on how much they liked it.

I doubt that is why he is having trouble getting in-focus shots. A quick internet search for Nikon AF-ON will offer scores of examples of others that can explain the advantages if anyone is curious.

My guess is the shutter speed was simply too slow. I'd be interested to know what ss he was getting and what ISO he was using.

While I prefer to shoot manual, if I use a program mode it is usually aperture since I am most interested in controlling the depth of field and adjust the ISO up to maintain a fast enough ss for the venue. A K - 12 gym is almost always going to need a large aperture and high ISO to get a satisfactory ss.

Even when the light appears bright to our eyes, the actual light is not. We are much better at adapting then a camera. In most grade school gyms, even professional photographers with the best pro level equipment have challenges.

Last edited by GeorgeR; 02-17-2016 at 09:49 PM..
Appreciate 1