03-05-2014, 12:20 PM   #5
Adel-75
Tunisia
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 LCI,320D , 04/2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by dape90 View Post
Turbos get hot.

Back in the day I used to own a Subaru STI 5 Type RA (terrible car which I wish I had never bought). When I drove it hard the turbo would glow red.

While I have not lifted the bonnet on my 118i after a hard drive I am sure the turbo will be glowing. And you really don't need to worry.

If you start hearing a whining noise then start to worry as the bearing are shot in the turbo. But modern BMW engines look after there turbos. Back in the day you would need to leave a turbo engine to idle for a bit before turning it off. This would allow the oil and water to circulate around the turbo and cool it.
On modern engines this idle period is not quite so important as the ECU can run the oil and water pumps after the engine is turned off if the turbo heat is high. I do the idle thing though, old habits and all that.

Alternatively, don't rag the car so hard. Put it in ECO mode, and use the change indicator. That way the turbo never produced boost and won't get as hot.
It will also be the most boring drive ever.

I hope that helps.

D
Thank u for ur help .

please just if possible and a day u can take photo after a hard drive just shared but I do fully agree u and trust u

do u think that there is an additional way how to cool more my turbo ?

regards

Adel
Appreciate 0